Thursday, September 7, 2017

TIP CORNER!! Perfect tool to walk your dog....

Image result for walking a dog free clip art

I gave some direction on the proper way to walk your pup. I did not discuss the gear you can use.
I will never ever forget the day Maggie walked into my grooming shop with this thang on her sweet muzzle. I looked at the pup-parent and questioned her with the authority of the FBI. "Madam, just what is that strap you have wrapped around your dogs nose?",  I questioned. And WHY would you do this to her?
That was in 1999 or so, fast forward to  today......oh my goodness, the options you have to walk your pup(especially if they are not well behaved) is daunting to say the least.
Let me say this,anything I recommend to walk your pup (other than a regular leash and collar) is in my opinion to be used as a training tool only and not on going. 
There are many tools that many humans think are cruel, unnecessary and plain evil. I will address some of those later. Right now I want to discuss the..
...Gentle Leader. It works just like its name suggests, in a gentle manner. The idea is much like that of a bit in the mouth of a horse. Anywhere the horse is lead,the butt will follow. I believe there  is a part of the gentle leader that is psychological for the pup. That  Pup knows much of its control is in its mouth, whether it is barking , biting, pulling or all of the above.
  If he/she looses some of that with a leader on then you automatically havean upper hand and therefore some (kind)control.
The Gentle Leader comes in sizes from small to very large. It works on all dogs; a little more effort and fitting must me done with pups that have little muzzles and stop areas.  Some pop-eyed pups should not wear a gentle leader due to possible eye damage. If in-doubt always check with your personal veterinarian before using.
Keep in mind you are teaching your pup how to walk properly so you and your pup can enjoy the adventure. I would not recommend using a retractable leash with the leader. You want your pup at your side not out in front of you.
Please watch the video that comes with the Gentle Leader, it will help! If I get many request I would be happy to do a live presentation on Facebook on the proper way to put on and train using a gentle leader.
Debbie πŸΎπŸ’•πŸΎ

No comments:

Post a Comment